Hallo .....

Friday, July 17, 2020

CURBSIDE OLD WINDOWS BECAME SOMETHING SPECIAL

CURBSIDE OLD WINDOWS BECAME SOMETHING SPECIAL

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure my dad invented the whole “find trash and make it treasure” thing. Loooong before it was a trendy thing to do, this was my dad’s gig. And I think his master creation came from old windows.
I can remember on Sunday nights, the night the trash went out, my sister and I would get in the front seat of my dad’s white ’80-something Chevy pick-up truck, and we’d go “junkin” with him.   He had this incredible eye for things people were throwing away and what he could make from it. Our house was filled with pieces from “Roadside Warehouse,” as we affectionately called it.
For a while, he was on this kick with old windows. I’m not sure if he even knew what he was going to do with it himself, but he just kept collecting them.  Well, he ended up making kitchen cabinet doors with them – and building my mom a greenhouse!

old windows greenhouse

We aren’t getting that fancy today, but there are plenty of creative and beautiful ways you can decorate using old windows.  Most are pretty simple, and the effect definitely outweighs the effort. It’s also an easy and inexpensive way to introduce farmhouse decor to your home.

HOW TO FIND OLD VINTAGE WINDOWS

Vintage windows are definitely on trend these days, and you can find them in a bunch of different ways. First, keep your eyes open when you’re driving around.  Sometimes people don’t want the hassle of selling them, and will just leave them by the curb.
You can also shop yard sales.  That’s another great way to find old windows (and other things you can repurpose). 
My favorite way to find old windows and things like that are on Facebook Marketplace.  It’s custom shopping, pretty much. Just type in what you’re looking for, and within a few days, you should find what you need. It’s a lot more efficient than hoping you land upon them while you’re driving or randomly snagging some at yard sales.
I found my old windows on Facebook Marketplace back when we were in NY. They were selling them for $10 a piece. I checked with some Facebook groups, and everyone assured me that was a good price! I grabbed 2 and carted them down with me to Tennessee last summer when we moved.
Right now, they’re still sitting in the workshop. But this round-up has given me lots of ideas of how I might use them in our new house. I hope they help you out, too! 🙂

MORE FARMHOUSE IDEAS

There are so many ideas out there for farmhouse decor. I honestly can waste spend hours on Pinterest collecting ideas (if my twin boys would let me, lol).  I can save you a little time and trouble! If you’re wanting more farmhouse inspiration and you like DIY, you can check out budget-friendly farmhouse DIY projects, CHRISTMAS DIY home decor projects, farmhouse DIY FALL projects, and farmhouse DIY SPRING projects.
If DIY isn’t your thing and you just want some farmhouse inspiration and need ideas, take a look at FALL home decor ideas, WINTER decor ideas and tips, or SPRING home decor ideas, all farmhouse style!
And if you’re on a tight budget for decorating, here are some of my best tips in how I’ve made it work for us!